Friday, August 31, 2012

Review of H2O by Austin Boyd and Brannon Hollingsworth

Goodreads
H2O is a contemporary crossover women’s novel that tells the story of Kate Pepper, a successful young business woman in Seattle whose life is suddenly—and strangely—turned upside down. Unexplainable visions torment her every time she gets wet. Sinking into despair, frantic to avoid water at any cost, Kate ultimately finds romance and redemption through the advice of simple people who love her for who she is, not what she was.

Kate Pepper has it all . . . a razor-sharp intellect, perfect health, stunning beauty, a wildly successful career, and all the money she can spend. Or rather, she thinks she has it all.
Despite the perfect shell, there’s something dark inside Kate. Terrible visions send her into a deep depression and her world crumbles. All her business savvy and elite connections don’t make a difference; she has lost control.

Who will save her? Xavier, her predatory boyfriend? Or Candice, the Down syndrome waitress at her favorite coffee shop? At the bottom of her dark well, desperate to get out of the water, there’s nowhere to reach but up.

H2O—a fascinating allegorical look at success, sanity and spiritual redemption in a young woman’s relationship with water.


My Thoughts

Ok, I got this book from Netgalley a while back and finally got some time to read it. I want to say ahead of time that while i enjoyed this book, I feel like I was duped. lol. I was unaware that this book would have such a large religious element to it. I mean I know the description said spiritual redemption, but whoah. I mean this book was out of left field for me. I was expecting a sort of paranormal setting when I requested it from Netgalley, but I was not expecting such a religious element. That is not to say that I regret reading it. By the time I figured out it was a christian book, I was too deep into the story to get out. I mean, i wanted to finish this book. I wanted to know what happened that she needed redemption for. I wanted to know who the mysterious man on the IM was. I wanted to know what the mysterious messages she received meant. I NEEDED to know. I have always had questions reguarding religion. I am not sure where I stand on it. This book kind of touched base on what I do know. It did not try to force the religion down my throat. It simply stated a few widely known things about God, but it did so through the story. And it was a wonderful story.

Kate Pepper is a serious wonder woman. She can do anything that she puts her mind to. And while her boyfriend is a Grade- A Jerk, she hates the mediocre and he is anything but. She lives her life in the fast lane. Best of everything. All in an attempt to escape her parents. While her parents were not mean, her mother was very strict due to her firm catholic beliefs. This sort of helped turn Kate off of religion at a young age. While it was being forced on her and ruining her life (her mother was a bit eccentric), she wanted nothing to do with it. And after an event that changed her forever at seventeen, she moved on to bigger and- lets face it- more expensive things. One day, out of the blue, she is washing fish in the sink and when the water touches her, she blacks out. This begins a pattern of her having an episode every time she comes into contact with pure water. Sometimes she loses seconds and sometimes she loses hours- even days. Each time she has one of these episodes, she experiences a very real Hallucination- or at least what she believes are hallucinations. In each Hallucination, she is Water of some kind- or very close to water. She feels what the water feels, she thinks like the water. And in every Hallucination, the same man appears. He is pure, dressed in all white and his mere presence is soothing. And whenever he speaks to Kate in her water form, she feels loved. interpret what you will. That is what Kate has to do. Only she interprets that she is losing it. insane. loco. I'll leave you with that. but there is one more thing I would like to address. 


The imagery in this book was beautiful. Whenever Kate was in her Vision/Hallucination- or whatever it was, she always described the situation in such beautiful terms. She relayed the feelings of the water in a well- reaching out to be loved. I mean water with feeling just created such a beautiful image to me for some reason. I do not know. maybe I am alone in this, but I love that image. This book was a joy to read, even if I was expecting something different. It was a pleasant surprise. :)




Yes, these are tuna. Kate liked to make Sushi-mi. so I relate tuna with this book. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE CRAVE INTERACTION. Well, that sounded desperate..lol.. ;) Leave a comment, crack a joke, ask a question, or just share something fun. Don't matter to us... as long as there is no SPAM or HATE. ): Unless it's the food- spam. We love that....