Thursday, November 14, 2013

Review: PODs [Apocalyptic + Virus Outbreak]

PODs


Goodreads | Released on 6/4/13
Seventeen-year-old Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to live, while others meet a swift and painful death from an incurable virus so lethal, a person is dead within days of symptoms emerging. In the POD system, a series of underground habitats built by the government, she waits with the other chosen for the deadly virus to claim those above. Separated from family and friends, it's in the PODs she meets David. And while true love might not conquer all, it's a balm for the broken soul. 

After a year, scientists believe the population has died, and without living hosts, so has the virus. That's the theory, anyway. But when the PODs are opened, survivors find the surface holds a vicious secret. The virus mutated, infecting those left top-side and creating... monsters. 

Eva and David hide from the infected in the abandoned PODs. Together they try to build a life--a new beginning. But the infected follow and are relentless in their attacks. Leaving Eva and David to fight for survival, and pray for a cure.



Review
I... loved this book so much. O.O Like... seriously. The concept is sort of original: Deadly worldwide virus hits. Government builds a "safe" facility. "Random" lottery chooses who will be placed into the Pods in an attempt to outlive the virus. Eva is chosen. She lives with other people- all young and intelligent- in this metal pod where they will have to live for about a year. Things are rocky at first, but the characters learned to tolerate each other. 

Eva is a cool character. She had her bumps and was not perfect, but I can say she grew as a character. The first part of this book where she had to leave her parents behind BROKE MY HEART. I was a little confused by the whole shopping spree thing beforehand though. Who goes on a shopping spree for cute clothes when the world is being wiped out by a virus and everyone is going to die. I know she wanted her kid to look nice in the nice government made pod, but seriously. Clothes are the least of your problems. I think that the younger girl in the pod had a more realistic reaction to having to leave everyone she loved behind. Eva adapted rather quick to her new life in the Claustrophobia inducing space. *shrug* Maybe my view is warped because I would be freaking out, screaming bloody murder, hyperventilating with tears streaming down my face.. well. You get the point. I would panic. But she is rather calm, as are most of the people in there. It is like they are at summer camp instead of a metal box. Now I am not saying they weren't sad at first. They were all sad about having to leave. Well, most of them, anyway. It was like they were all high school students from the same class in school- they even had the golden couple and the pregnant girl. And oh, man. You think they would be through with the dangers of the outside world, but DUDE. DUDE. People are evil. Just.... aaaah. anyways. Sorry about that. MOVING ON. 

The romance: Okay, Eva and David are so adorable. They are like the cute couple that are perfect for each other that always make the single people sick to be around. I mean... they were so CUTE. I was so loving it, but at the same time..I sort of wanted some drama in the POD. haha. Sorry, I'm sick. We all know this. But outside of the POD, there was plenty. I mean... sorry I asked for drama-haha- NOT. 
There was an asshole moment or 2, but I still loved David. I just wish the book had been told in his point of view along with hers, so I could know what was going on in his head some of the time. I feel like when the book is only in one person's POV, it makes it so the love interest isn't as real a character to me. I know, that is weird. I just like to be in both of their heads. 


The world outside the PODS was cool. Some parts made me panic and others made me mad. The whole.... women should stay behind and let the men take care of business mentality- that pissed me off. I mean, seriously, the chicks should not have to ask for guns. They should be given them and expected to take care of business as well. It is nice that the guys were concerned about them... but they are gonna end up dead if they are relying solely ion the men to protect them.  But for the most part, Eva was alright, David was alright, and the outside world was wicked. I know, this review is all over the place. I am writing it with a headache and cold. So, please excuse my crazy. 

rating: 4/5


 photo RyanFOXBIGGER_zpsebe33d61.png



No comments:

Post a Comment

WE CRAVE INTERACTION. Well, that sounded desperate..lol.. ;) Leave a comment, crack a joke, ask a question, or just share something fun. Don't matter to us... as long as there is no SPAM or HATE. ): Unless it's the food- spam. We love that....