Wednesday, August 21, 2013

On the Spot interview with Paranormal author- Nikki Rae. The Sunshine Series [Ya Paranormal]

 photo onthespot9penandpaper_zps859b2da2.png




1) Do you have a favorite character from The Sunshine Series? If so, can you tell me who it is?


It’s definitely hard to choose! I feel like they’re all my babies and I should love them all equally, but at times, I love some more than others. In Sunshine, Sophie was my favorite because I just wanted to hug her. In Sun Poisoned, her brother, Jade is my favorite because he’s so protective of his sister. In Sun Damage (which will be out next spring), Myles is my favorite because he finally gets to tell the entire story from his side, and he has a lot to say.


2)  What was the hardest part of writing the series?


The hardest parts were often the most necessary ones. Any time Sophie was suffering, I felt it.  Some of the things she went through were extremely difficult to write. There was one scene in particular which involved her and her ex-boyfriend that must have taken me about a month to get through and do right.


3) What was your favorite part of writing the series?


Learning. Learning about my characters, learning about myself and my process as a writer. That’s the best part.


4) Do you have any books planned in the near future? If so, can you tell us about your upcoming books?


Oh, yes. I always have books planned. There will be a third book in The Sunshine Series coming out this March, then there are other things in the works after that: a horror story involving some characters we meet in Sun Poisoned, a novella that I have super-secret-awesome plans for, a story about alien mermaids, a story about demons and mental hospitals. There are a lot, is what I’m getting at here. :)


5) If you were writing a book about your life, what would you title it?


“One more chapter” maybe. For obvious reasons.


6) What would the cover of your book look like?


I don’t know. I guess it would have to reflect me, right? So…cats, tea, and my gecko, Neil. People would think they’re reading a book about animals, but that’s fine with me.


7) Can you describe your Sunshine series in one sentence?


Some people think they can hide from their past, but there are often monsters under the covers, too.


8) Do you get extremely attached to your characters? If so, how do you react when you have to write a scene that is going to be particularly hard on them?


Yes. There are times where I have to write scenes that are so hard on the characters that I have to take a break or step away for a while. It’s weird, caring about made up people, but I know they need to go through these things because it’s part of their story. I can only hope they come out on the other side of it a better person.


9) When did you first know that you wanted to write?


I think it was probably high school. I wrote as a way to calm myself when I was having problems with my anxiety disorder. Then I got serious about writing and having others read my stories when I got to college.


10) So, I am going to assume since you wrote a book about one, that Vampires are your favorite paranormal/ fantasy creature. Do you have any more that you would love to right about or just enjoy in general?


Yes. Vampires were my first monster-loves. They will always have a special place in my heart. But I love all supernatural creatures. Mermaids, demons, ghosts, golems, gargoyles, you name it. All of them at one time scared me, but I’ve kind of slowly started to make it my goal to write about each one.  Even aliens, which scare me the most.


11) What is your favorite book? Besides your own wonderful series, of course.


Oh gosh. You cannot ask a writer that question! I’ll try to narrow it down: Stolen by Lucy Christopher, The Mara Dyer series by Michelle Hodkin, Wolf at The Table by Augusten Burroughs, and Coraline by Neil Gaiman. There are way, way more, of course.


12) Do you remember where you were or what you were doing when the idea for the characters in the sunshine series occurred to you?


Yes. I was lying in a hotel room in Aruba with sun poisoning as my family was at the beach having fun. The aloe vera gel we had made me stick to the sheets and I was in so much pain. There was no TV station that wasn't in French, and I had no one to talk to. Somewhere between feeling like death and sleeping, Sophie just showed up and started talking. Then Myles showed up a few days later.


13) would like to end the interview with something fun. Can you tell me something fun/random/wonky/crazy about yourself or your writing habits?


I don’t really have many. I mean, the only weird thing I do is probably chain-drink tea while writing. If my cup is empty, it has to be refilled before I can continue. And it can’t be lukewarm. Either boiling hot or freezing cold.


Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. (:

No problem! They were lots of fun! : )



The Sunshine Series





Sunshine Blurb [Book 1]
18 year old Sophie Jean is pretty good at acting normal. Sure, she’s not exactly happy, but happiness is nothing compared to being like everyone else. She can pretend she’s not allergic to the sun. She can hide what her ex-boyfriend did to her. She can cover up the scars she’s made for herself. Ignore anything. Forget anything. Then Myles enters her life, and he has more than a few secrets of his own. When accident after accident keeps happening to Sophie, she can’t help noticing that he’s everywhere. That he knows too much. That she’s remembering too much.

It’s one thing covering up her own dark past, but does she really need to worry about people finding out just how much Myles likes her? Or that despite how much she doesn’t want to repeat past mistakes, she kind of likes him back? Not to mention the fact that she now has to conceal that Myles drinks blood-that he says he’s about four hundred years old.

She almost forgot about that part.

But Sophie has no plans to ruin the normal life she has created for herself. She can deal with this little glitch, no problem. Even if word has gotten around to the wrong vampire about Sophie and Myles, even if she’s putting the few people she loves at risk. Suddenly, those who were monsters before are just people, and the monsters? They’re real. Now being a normal human being is the least of her problems. Now she has to stay alive.

 photo RyanFOXBIGGER_zpsebe33d61.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE CRAVE INTERACTION. Well, that sounded desperate..lol.. ;) Leave a comment, crack a joke, ask a question, or just share something fun. Don't matter to us... as long as there is no SPAM or HATE. ): Unless it's the food- spam. We love that....